2023 April

The benefits of prioritizing and measuring performance in WordPress 6.2

Based on lab benchmarks, WordPress 6.2 loads 14-18% faster overall for block themes and 2-5% faster overall for classic themes (measured via Largest Contentful Paint / LCP). Particularly server-side performance (measured via Time to First Byte / TTFB) is seeing a major boost of 17-23% for block themes and 3-5% for classic themes, which directly contributes to the […]

Performance Chat Summary: 18 April 2023

Meeting agenda here and the full chat log is available beginning here on Slack. Announcements 2.2.0 was released yesterday UPDATED from agenda: fetchpriority standalone plugin is still under review (not ‘approved’ as originally thought) Priority Projects Server Response Time Link to roadmap projects Contributors: @joemcgill @spacedmonkey @aristath @joemcgill Happy to say that I’m back from some time off with two […]

Performance Chat Agenda: 18 April 2023

Here is the agenda for this week’s performance team meeting scheduled for April 18, 2023 at 15:00 UTC. Announcements 2.2.0 was released yesterday fetchpriority standalone plugin has been approved, aiming to publish later today Priority projects Server response time Database optimization JavaScript & CSS Images Measurement Ecosystem tools Creating standalone plugins New projects / proposals Open floor This […]

Performance Chat Summary: 11 April 2023

Meeting agenda here and the full chat log is available beginning here on Slack. Announcements 2.2.0 release date will be Mon April 17 Priority Projects Server Response Time Link to roadmap projects Contributors: @joemcgill @spacedmonkey @aristath No updates this week Database Optimization Link to roadmap projects Contributors: @aristath @spacedmonkey @olliejones @rjasdfiii No updates this week JavaScript & CSS […]

Performance Chat Agenda: 11 April 2023

Here is the agenda for this week’s performance team meeting scheduled for April 11, 2023 at 15:00 UTC. Announcements 2.2.0 release date will be Mon April 17 Priority projects Server response time Database optimization JavaScript & CSS Images Measurement Ecosystem tools Creating standalone plugins New projects / proposals Open floor This meeting happens in the #core-performance channel. To […]

Performance Chat Summary: 4 April 2023

Meeting agenda here and the full chat log is available beginning here on Slack. Announcements 2.2.0 release date will be Mon April 17 Priority Projects Server Response Time Link to roadmap projects Contributors: @joemcgill @spacedmonkey @aristath @aristath shared an update ahead of time: Autoloader: Work continues on https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/pull/3470 to add a PHP autoloader in Core. The results so far are […]

Performance Chat Agenda: 4 April 2023

Here is the agenda for this week’s performance team meeting scheduled for March 28, 2023 at 15:00 UTC. Announcements 2.2.0 release date will be Mon April 17 Priority projects Server response time Database optimization JavaScript & CSS Images Measurement Ecosystem tools Creating standalone plugins New projects / proposals Open floor This meeting happens in the #core-performance channel. To […]